Man Portable Two-Way / HAM Radio Recommendation
We have looked at many different radios for the modern patriot.
We wanted very good to great performance at a reasonable price point, a tall order…
We set our price limit at $75 or less. (This price does not include the extra accessories we purchased.)
We arrived at this price limit by asking 10 other associates what is the limit they would be willing to pay for a good to great performing two-way / ham hand held radio.
The average response ranged between $50 to $100, so the price averaged at $75…
Enter the: BaoFeng UV-82HP High Power Dual band Radio
Price: $65 as of this writing from amazon. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Z52HP10/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B00Z52HP10&linkCode=as2&tag=httpki4heeblo-20&linkId=WXLE5LOH3GH5PZL3
Specs: 136 to 174 mhz (VHF) 400-520 mhz (UHF) Amateur Radio
- High / Med / Low Power Settings (7W/4W/1W); Frequency Range: 65-108 MHz(Only commercial FM radio reception) VHF: 136-174 MHz(Rx/Tx). UHF: 400-520 MHz(Rx/Tx); Broad (Wide) / Narrowband (Narrow) Selectable
- Helpful BaoFeng Guides and Programming Tips at BaoFengTech.com and Miklor.com
- Dual-band handheld transceiver with display function menu on the display “LCD”. Function Busy Channel Lock “BCLO”.
- Weight= 1.3 pounds
- Dimensions: 2.5 wide x 2 thick x 7 tall
- 128 programmable memory channels
- The radio comes with: 1800mAh Battery, High Gain Antenna, Earpiece with Remote Mic, Desktop Charger, 120 volt AC Adapter, Belt Clip, Wrist Strap.
- Battery life: 18 to 24 hours service between charges under light duty cycle. You can play the FM radio for 7 to 8 hours on a full charge. 24-48 Hours Monitoring only; 10-24 Hours with average transmitting…
- Range: We tested radio to radio 20 miles in a semi wooded area with great results. BaoFeng claims we could get over 50 miles to HAM repeater towers for licensed ham use!
- U.S. based tech support.
- Out of the box this radio is set up in channel mode. This radio can be manually programmed, with practice. That being said, it is easier to program it while connected to a computer… You need to purchase a programming cable for around $21. http:http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HUB0ONK/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B00HUB0ONK&linkCode=as2&tag=prepprod-20&linkId=GDYZDEOU6CHB72EC
- This radio does not include programming software. The software can be had here:http://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/Download (It is free!)
- We ordered a few of these antennas to see if we can extend the range of this radio.http://www.radio-mart.net/NAGOYA-NA-771-High-Gain-Antenna.html We will post results when testing is completed.
- Here is the hand mic we ordered: http://www.amazon.com/Baofeng-BF-S112-Two-Radio-Speaker/dp/B008RZ0EQ0/ref=pd_bxgy_422_img_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=189F2NGSXH282SCF772Z
- We ordered the DC power adapter for vehicle use also: http://www.amazon.com/BaoFeng-UV-82HP-Battery-Eliminator-Adapter/dp/B00IWV7X6I/ref=pd_sim_422_6?ie=UTF8&dpID=41SIaA3fHnL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=1XSFW3JFCMDPWPFQGE6F
- This radio is not waterproof! It seems well sealed, so it can handle some surface moisture, just do not submerge it!
- Unfortunately this radio is made in China… but it is of good quality. The manual is written in good English! There is U.S. based tech support! If you have the money to purchase an American made radio, do it. This review focused on the most bang for the buck for a dual purpose, man portable handheld radio that works well and is affordable for the average person building their kit.
- Here is a link to a youtube review we found: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7Bw7zg_4eI